Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Facing Your Horse

Facing your horse is a very important part of heading. At speedroping.com training site I offer a video on this topic and many others. In this video clip I explain the techniques I use to face my horse and how I teach my horse to face at home in the practice pen.

In the past I pulled a log a lot in a circle and came out of it at the right angle, but now I use the Hot Heels to make my horse face correctly. I like to do it slow and controlled so I can make the horse do what I want him to with out dragging a steer. In this video I show in slow motion exactly how I show my horse how to face without a steer, keeping his nose to the inside just a little, using my right foot and asking him to swing his butt around and keeping him moving so he is actually still pulling the cow as he swings around.


My objective is when I leave home for my horse to be able to face. One of the hardest things for a horse to do is face in a little arena. Teaching your horse to face AT HOME, so when you leave home you'll have a chance for it to work right.

In this video I also show a run where Kory slides some rope and my horse faced, kept moving and backing up until Kory got his dally so we didn't loose any time. It is very hard to win these days if your horse does not face good. Horses really have to score, run and cow. At our level a little bit of time can really affect you if you have to mess with your horse trying to get him to face. You can fix that in the practice pen so when you leave home you have a chance to finish the run.

These videos are made to help better your roping skills, I have used video to better my roping all through out my career. Video is a powerful training tool, they can be viewed over and over. To view this video and many more on other topics visit the speedroping.com training center. There are over 25 free videos and if you like what you see there are two subscription levels to gain access to the training library. The video library is always growing and there are lots of new stuff coming to the site soon. I plan offer a classified ad section to the public soon. Come join me at speedroping.com, I'd love to have you.

For latest updates follow speedroping on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment